
Mission San Jose y San Miguel de Aguayo, founded in 1720, is the largest of the four Spanish missions making up the San Antonio Missions National Historic Park. It has had the most reconstruction and is also the location of the main visitor center. The church is on the far side of the courtyard from the visitor center. It is the largest church of the four missions. This was also known as "Queen of the Missions" and is the best one to see how the missions were more than just the churches; they were also communities where Native Americans lived.
The Church
Side View of the Church
The church is made of limestone and has Spanish colonial Baroque architecture and statuary.
Above the Entrance
It has an arched ceiling, a dome and a choir loft.
Inside Mission San Jose's Church
Choir Loft and Ceiling of the Church
Near the church there were large vaulted rooms for storing food for the mission.
Food Store Room for the Mission
The mission was fully restored by the WPA (Works Progress Administration) in the 1930s including rebuilding the wall. Much of the wall is only a story high and made up of living quarters for Native Americans.
Living Quarters Make Up the Wall with the Entrances on the Courtyard Side
An overview of this National Historic park is in the first post of this series about Mission San Juan. As with most National Park units, you should check the NPS Website's San Antonio Missions NHP Page for current status and more information. This mission has guided tours; the times are listed on their website.
©2022 - 2026 Mountain Adventures LLC all rights reserved (Designed by On the Grid Web Design LLC)